The WSOP October 9
The Octo-9 or October 9 as it is otherwise known, is the much-awaited showdown of the Main Event of the World Series of Poker 2012. This finale to the world’s most glamorous poker contest typically takes place in November, but owing to the US presidential elections has been moved backward by one month. Play commences on October 28th, when 9 men with an average age of 31 will go head-to-head for poker glory. A glittering gold bracelet & some $8.5 million in 1st place prize money is up for grabs. The October 9 comprises the following finalists:
- Jesse Sylvia with a chip count of 43,875,000
- Andras Koroknai with a chip count of 29,375,000
- Greg Merson with a chip count of 28,725,000
- Russell Thomas with a chip count of 24,800,000
- Steven Gee with a chip count of 16,860,000
- Michael Esposito with a chip count of 16,260,000
- Robert Salaburu with a chip count of 15,155,000
- Jacob Balsiger with a chip count of 13,115,000
- Jeremy Ausmus with a chip count of 9,805,000
These poker pros have fought long and hard to best the field comprising thousands of players. The result is that each of them is guaranteed a big chunk of cash, and a shot at millions of dollars in WSOP prize money. During this prestigious contest, 2 women finished in positions 10 and 11, just shy of finishing in the October-Nine. The breaking news story in the Final 9 was that Gaelle Baumann and Elisabeth Hille became the first ladies in 17 years to hit the big time at the Main Event final table.
A Highly Competitive Field at the Main Event
The absence of high-profile poker players at the Main Event of the October 9 is a curious point. But the level of competition is fierce and players are jockeying for position to earn the mantel of undisputed King of Poker. In fact, the chip counts are so close, that it’s really anybody’s game. At the top the leader board is Jesse Sylvia on a staggering 43,875,000 chips. His closest rival is Andras Koroknai with a chip count of 29,375,000. From there the competition is really tight, with positions 5 through 8 very close. Greg Merson is likely to add a 2nd bracelet to his tally, in addition to the $1.1 million and 1st place ranking in event #57.
- The WSOP October 9 commences on October 28, 2012. Nine of poker’s most seasoned veterans will square off in a contest for poker glory. Each player is already guaranteed to receive over $750,000, with the winner taking home $8.5 million, and the prestigious gold bracelet.
- Jesse Sylvia, Andras Koroknai, Greg Merson, Russell Thomas, Stephen Gee, Michael Esposito, Robert Salaburu, Jacob Balsiger, and Jeremy Ausmus comprise the October 9 of the World Series of poker 2012. Play commences on 28 October with $8.5 million in 1st Place prize money up for grabs.
- The WSOP October 9 showcased history in the making with Elizabeth Hille and Gaelle Baumann being the first women in 17 years to make it through to the Main Event. Come October 28, 9 men will square off for $8.5 million in first place prize money and a shot at poker immortality!